Grilled tofu vegetable skewers, because I’m putting my focus back on vegan, grillable treats. If you look around in the supermarkets, you can now find a wide range of vegan specialties. This in itself is good news, however, it often involves highly processed foods with many additives. I’m not against vegan fast food in general, but I prefer fresh food made from wholesome ingredients. Every now and then I like to treat myself to a Beyond Meat Burger and I have to say they do a great job. The burgers are really super good. But today we’re making our own barbecue skewers from scratch, including a delicious BBQ marinade.
Grilled tofu vegetable skewers
Today we grill delicious vegetables, sweet potato, bell bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant and combine that with smoked tofu. This may not sound that spectacular at first glance, however, I have two highlights that make the skewers irresistible. Firstly, I pre-roast the vegetables in the oven, avoiding that the vegetables become dry. I’ve tried many recipes that put the veggies completely raw on the skewers and always felt like they tasted dry and not particularly flavorful. We solve this problem by roasting them briefly in the oven. Addiction factor guaranteed.
The second highlight is the BBQ marinade, which I mix together from tamari, maple syrup, white wine vinegar, tomato ketchup, lime juice, garlic cloves, paprika powder, salt and bell pepper. The pre-grilled skewers are rubbed vigorously with it and only then put on the grill. A pleasure! I can personally confirm this, then my husband and I together have eaten almost 12 skewers.
Simple vegan barbecue recipes
I am honestly so blown away by how great vegan grilling is. In addition to today’s skewers, I’ve put together some other goodies for you to make your next barbecue a success for sure.
- Simple vegan potato salad
- Tomato Mozzarella (Caprese)
- Oriental salad with apricots and chickpeas
- Creamy meat salad with jackfruit
- Pasta salad with cashew tomato pesto
- Potato salad with wild garlic pesto
- The best vegan BBQ sauce
- Creamy cashew mayo
- Cheesy nacho dip
- 6-ingredients tzatziki
- Make mango chutney yourself
- Herb mushrooms (for the grill)
- Oyster mushroom steak (for the grill)
- Seitan burger
- Eggplant fillets for the grill
- Crispy Tempeh Skewers
- Grilled corn cobs
I think these are already good templates for a successful barbecue with your loved ones. If you are still looking for a dessert, then of course I have some treats for you.
- Simple strawberry dessert
- Chocolate mousse cake
- Fluffy peanut mousse
- Mango cheesecake without baking
- Strawberry sorbet
Tofu vegetable skewers (from the grill) are:
- BBQ flavor
- Easy to make
Tofu vegetable skewers (grilled)
FOR THE SKEWERS:
FOR THE BBQ MARINADE:
- 90 ml Tamari or any other soy sauce of your choice
- 60 ml maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
- 60 ml White wine vinegar or another light vinegar of your choice
- 30 g Tomato ketchup or tomato paste
- 30 ml Lime juice
- 2 Piece Garlic cloves pressed, or 1 tsp garlic granules
- 2 tbspn Paprika powder gladly replace 1 tsp with smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 24 g Cornstarch or another starch of your choice for thickening
- Fresh herbs to taste
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees convection (240 degrees top bottom heat). Line a baking sheet with a permanent baking mat or baking paper.
- FOR THE SKEWERS Bring pot of water to boil and boil sweet potato cubes for 10 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl.1 Liter Water, 400 g Sweet potatoes
- Add zucchini, eggplant, bell bell pepper, red onion and oil and mix vigorously once with your hands until everything is combined.300 g Zucchini, 280 g Eggplant, 350 g Paprika, 2-3 Piece red onion, 30 ml Frying oil or other high heat oil
- Pour onto the baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Put in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime FOR THE BBQ Sauce provide a small saucepan. Add in tamari, maple syrup, white wine vinegar, tomato ketchup, lime juice, garlic cloves, paprika, salt, pepper and cornstarch. Stir with a whisk until everything is combined.90 ml Tamari, 60 ml maple syrup, 60 ml White wine vinegar, 30 g Tomato ketchup, 30 ml Lime juice, 2 Piece Garlic cloves, 2 tbspn Paprika powder, Salt to taste, Pepper to taste, 24 g Cornstarch
- Place on the stove and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer until the sauce has thickened somewhat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- FOR THE SKEWERS alternately skewer the vegetables and tofu until everything is used up.200 g Smoked tofu
- Place in a bowl and pour BBQ marinade over the top. Turn and marinate briefly.
- TIP: Like to prepare a day in advance and let marinate overnight in the refrigerator, sealed airtight.
- Turn on the grill and sear for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Enjoy with additional sauce and side dishes of your choice.Fresh herbs to taste
- Best fresh, not suitable for freezing.