Pumpkin as an appetizer, main course and dessert, that’s how I like it best. At the same time, I’m still puzzled why you can’t buy ready-made pumpkin puree in Germany. For me it is the MUST HAVE food for the fall. I conjure from it in 10-15 minutes a pumpkin soup, pumpkin scones, a pumpkin pie or just this dessert. There’s applesauce, pear puree and all sorts of purees galore, but just no pumpkin puree. Well, then I’ll just have to do it myself. Fortunately, making pumpkin puree is really simple and requires only a few steps. In autumn I always have pumpkin at home, so I can quickly and flexibly bring delicious pumpkin dishes to the table. Today we will make a delicious mousse together, are you with us?
Simple vegan pumpkin mousse for autumn
The dessert consists of three layers, the pumpkin mousse, vegan cream (optional) and a nut brittle as a topping. Maybe you’re wondering now what a nut brittle is? This originally comes from the USA and is made from peanut butter, peanuts and lots of sugar. It is left to dry and then broken apart, hence the name. We make it a little healthier and especially with less sugar. Mixed nuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, maple syrup, bourbon vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and a hefty pinch of salt. These are the healthy ingredients for our Brittle.
TIP: Here you can use what you have in the house with the nuts and seeds. Particularly suitable:
- Cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios and walnuts
- Hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
The mousse couldn’t be simpler, silken tofu, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, pumpkin spice, vanilla and a pinch of salt. For better stability and creaminess I add xanthan gum.
TIP: Xanthan gum sounds exotic and perhaps also unhealthy, but it is not. Xanthah gum is obtained naturally and is approved for organic foods. I appreciate it for various purposes, such as making ice cream, cashew cream and various other dishes in vegan cuisine. Everyone should have xanthan gum in the house.
Pumpkin mousse, vegan cream and nut brittle. Ready is our vegan dessert.
Vegan desserts that are simple and delicious
Let’s move on to troubleshooting. However, that turns out to be quite manageable today, since you can hardly do anything wrong. Still, it’s often the little things that matter:
- As already indicated, the use of xanthan gum is simply a dream. The mousse remains stable and does not become watery. I’ve linked you to the product I use in the ingredients list below.
- If you don’t have silken tofu at home, you can use regular tofu. Depending on the consistency of the pumpkin puree, carefully add water sips at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Click here to go directly to my tutorial on how to make pumpkin puree.
- Always prepare mousse a day in advance or at least with at least 4 hours of refrigeration. It takes time to infuse and firm up. Otherwise, it is not as firm and creamy as desired.
Perfect, autumn can come and the cozy evenings at home in front of the fireplace with delicious hot drinks and pumpkin dishes. Today actually not in the mood for pumpkin? Then I recommend my fluffy chocolate mousse, baked apple tart or healthy cookie dough for spooning.
The pumpkin mousse with nut brittle is:
- Few ingredients
- Simply made
You love vegan mousse as much as I do? Then I look forward to a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, then like to use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Pumpkin mousse with nut brittle
FOR THE MOUSSE:
FOR THE NUT BRITE:
- Vegetable cream
- Preheat oven to 135 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- FOR THE NUT BRITTLE Add nuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, maple syrup, bourbon vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and a pinch of salt to a bowl and mix until well combined.125 g Nuts, 30 g Pumpkin seeds, 15 g Sesame seeds, 45 ml maple syrup, ¼ tbspn Bourbon vanilla, ½ tbspn Cinnamon, 1/4 tbspn Ginger, ⅛ tbspn Nutmeg, A strong pinch of salt
- TIP: If you like the brittle a little finer, you can chop the nuts to your liking.
- Place the measurements in a circle on a baking sheet and gently flatten.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes. Keep an eye on it from time to time to make sure nothing burns.
- FOR THE MOUSSE, place silken tofu (does not need to be drained), pumpkin puree, maple syrup, pumpkin spice, vanilla and salt in a high-powered blender (or equivalent) and blend until everything is combined into a fine cream.300 g Silken tofu, 150 g Pumpkin puree, 80 ml maple syrup, 1 tbspn Pumpkin spice**, ¼ tbspn Bourbon vanilla, 1 strong pinch of salt
- Optionally add xanthan gum and mix again briefly and vigorously.¼ tbspn Xanthan Gum
- Pour into dessert glasses and let set for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with vegan cream and desired toppings and enjoy!Vegetable cream
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.