Make Tofu great again! This is my motto in October . It makes me think back to a trainee at my favorite organic supermarket. I was just at the checkout and had some Tofus on the conveyor belt when I asked him if he liked everything that was available here in this great store. Yes, already he said everything is super tasty, except for Tofu ! There I had to smile really, because I have heard that so often. But it always depends on how it is prepared. Tofu is prepared. I will provide the proof today: Tofu is damn tasty and addictive! Oh yes, and if you (trainee) might be reading these lines now, feel free to drop by. I like to bruzel you live my favorite tofu.
Make Tofu great again
Ok, the saying might now remind you of a person who has Tofu has almost nothing to do with. Whereas you always don’t know how people really tick and maybe even he eats tofu? Back to the essentials, our recipe today. The trick is that we first press the tofu and then put it in a marinade. Then, after rolling it in cornstarch, it goes into the oven and bakes until quite crispy. In the meantime, we prepare the sauce.
The pan is heated and the tofu goes in directly on the stove. Due to the starch, it now has a completely dry surface and literally soaks up the sauce. Yummy and just perfect for all sorts of Asian Dishes . As a topping on curries, Salads or simply pure for snacking.
Where do vegans actually get their protein from?
Did you know how tofu is made? Strictly speaking, it is simply soy milk. The soybeans used for this purpose must have a protein content of at least 42% and a specific amino acid composition. With the help of a natural coagulant (magnesium chloride), the tofu finally becomes firm. Especially for vegan living people, it is thus an excellent supplier of protein and other micronutrients:
- Especially rich of potassium, magnesium and calcium
- B vitamins
- High protein content (16g per 100g)
The beauty of today’s recipe is that you can combine it in such a great and versatile way:
- Massaman curry
- Pad Thai
- Fried rice with lentils
- Cauliflower curry with spinach
- Palak Paneer Curry
- Korma curry
- Pumpkin curry
- Chickpea Curry Tikka Masala
- Vegetables sweet and sour
The crispy tofu Asian Style (asian style):
- Spicy with light sweetness
- Simply made
Are you also a big tofu fan like me? Then I look forward to a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, then like to use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Crispy tofu (Asian style)
FOR THE TOFU:
- 200 g Tofu natural I take the products of Taifun *advertisement since brand mention, but no connection to the company
- 15 ml Tamari or any other soy sauce of your choice
- 1 Bird Eye Chili or another chili of your choice, alternatively chili powder or chili sauce
- 7,5 ml Sesame oil
- 7,5 ml maple syrup
- 13,5 g Cornstarch 2 tablespoons, or other starch of choice
- Preheat oven to 200degrees, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove tofu from packaging and ideally squeeze in a tofu press for 15 minutes until almost no liquid remains. The less liquid in the tofu, the better it can absorb the marinade.200 g Tofu natural
- Alternatively Wrap tofu with paper towel or a clean kitchen towel and weigh down with a heavy object. Let stand for 15 minutes until the liquid is squeezed out as best it can.
- Then cut the tofu into cubes and place in a bowl.
- Add tamari, chili, sesame oil, maple syrup and stir once.15 ml Tamari, 1 Bird Eye Chili, 7,5 ml Sesame oil, 7,5 ml maple syrup
- Add cornstarch, place lid on bowl and toss vigorously once until tofu is coated all around with cornstarch.13,5 g Cornstarch
- Place on baking sheet, place in oven and bake for 15 minutes until crisp.
- In the meantime, prepare the SAUCE. For this, put peanut butter, tamari, chili, lemon juice, maple syrup and sesame oil in a bowl and stir with a whisk until a creamy sauce is formed.20 g Peanut butter, 15 ml Tamari, 1 Bird Eye Chili, 15 ml Lemon juice, 15 ml maple syrup, 7,5 ml Sesame oil
- Heat pan (without additional oil).
- Add tofu directly from the oven to the hot pan and add the sauce. Stir until the tofu has completely absorbed the sauce.
- Serve with a dish of choice and enjoy!
- Best fresh, keeps 2-3 days airtight in the refrigerator.