Semolina cake, at first sounded strange to my ears because I have yet to bake a cake with durum wheat semolina. But since I am curious by nature, I dared to experiment and was honestly thrilled and surprised at the same time by the result. Delicious, fluffy, not too sweet, the cake is really wonderful and reminiscent of Bella Italia!
Simple vegan semolina cake, oil reduced
Sometimes I really like to bake completely oil-free, however, I often opt for a reduced-oil version as well. For this recipe, I reduced the originally intended amount by half and it worked great. As a substitute, I use apple pulp, which is 100 percent unsweetened, pureed apples. The remaining dough consists of durum wheat semolina, raw cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, bourbon vanilla, yogurt, margarine, orange juice, orange zest and flaxseed eggs.
Simple vegan baking
Maybe you are now asking yourself the question, what actually is durum wheat grits? It is produced during the milling of special durum wheat grown as a summer cereal. Actually, you make Italian pasta from durum wheat or durum grits. However, you can also make very tasty cakes from it, as in our example. By the way, semolina cake is also known from Arabic cuisine, where it is called basbousa and is traditionally served in small slices.
If you’re in the mood for a different sponge cake today, I have the following recommendations for you:
- Simple sponge cake with peaches
- Simple sponge cake with chocolate chips
- Vanilla cake with chocolate frosting
- Blackberry crumble cake
- Apple pie with vanilla sauce
- The perfect vegan gugelhupf
- Pumpkin pie with nut crumble
- Coffee cake with cinnamon sugar
- Apricot pudding cake
- Coffee Chai Cake
I hope you enjoy baking and of course about a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Semolina cake vegan
FOR THE SEMOLINA CAKE:
- 3 Piece Flaxseed eggs
- 450 g Durum wheat semolina
- 150 g Raw cane sugar
- 1 Pack Baking powder
- 1 tbspn Baking soda
- ¼ tbspn Bourbon vanilla ground
- 400 g Yogurt nature I use soy yogurt
- 100 g Apple pulp
- 100 g Margarine melted
- Juice of one organic orange
- Zest of half an orange
- 120 ml Mineral water with a lot of carbonic acid
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius (or 170 degrees Celsius top/bottom heat) and line a springform pan (26cm) with baking paper.
- Prepare flaxseed eggs. Set aside.3 Piece Flaxseed eggs
- Add durum wheat semolina, raw cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda and bourbon vanilla to a baking bowl and whisk until evenly combined .450 g Durum wheat semolina, 150 g Raw cane sugar, 1 Pack Baking powder, 1 tbspn Baking soda, ¼ tbspn Bourbon vanilla ground
- Add yogurt, apple pulp, margarine, orange juice, orange zest and flaxseed eggs. Continue stirring carefully and add the mineral water at the very end. Do not stir too long, otherwise the leavening power of the dough will be destroyed.400 g Yogurt nature, 100 g Apple pulp, 100 g Margarine, Juice of one organic orange, Zest of half an orange, 120 ml Mineral water with a lot of carbonic acid
- Check the consistency of the dough, it should be easy to pour into the mold, but not too runny (see video). If too runny add more flour, if too solid add more vegetable milk.
- Pour into springfrom and smooth out.
- Put in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- When the baking time is over, use a wooden stick to check if the cake is done. If the wooden stick comes out “clean”, remove from oven and let cool completely.
- For the FROSTING Place powdered sugar and turmeric in a bowl, carefully pour in orange juice and stir until a smooth frosting is formed.112 g Powdered sugar, 2-3 tbspn Orange juice, 1 tbspn Turmeric
- Decorate cooled cake with it. Cut into pieces and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.