The #veganuary is in full swing and I hope you are enjoying it to the fullest. We were the last few days on the road in the snow, more precisely in the Zillertal and it was the hammer. Great weather, powder snow without end and even the sun has occasionally blinked through. Since I am immediately times in summer mood and have longed with an exotic fruity recipe. Nothing against the Winter but such a summery delicacy always goes, right? No sooner said than done, I experimented a bit and it turned out to be a simple, moist pineapple cake with Cashew Frosting out of it. Are you ready for a little exotic side trip? Then be sure to read on.
Vegan Caribbean Vibes
It does not always have to be Cream be, right? Yes it must! Especially if it is to be a cake. But who says please that Cream can not also be vegetable. After all, I already have a great recipe for making Coconut cream on my blog. But this time I wanted something different, cashew based with a pleasant tart flavor from yogurt. You don’t need much to make it, except a handful of ingredients and once again a good blender. I have linked you my favorite model below (no sponsoring).
Say Creeeeeeeam Cheeeese!
The frosting should remind a little of cream Cheese only not so greasy and with a fresh flavor. The challenge was to make the binding without coconut oil. Currently, many manufacturers use coconut oil to get a natural hardening. The saturated fatty acids are liquid at room temperature and become hard as soon as you put them in the refrigerator. Personally, I’m not such a big fan of coconut oil, as I tend to avoid saturated fats. That’s why I use xanthan gum for the frosting, which sounds exotic but is an all-natural binder. In the vegan cuisine it is indispensable for me and I have also linked you here my favorite product under (no sponsoring – I only use products that I find good myself).
VEGAN CAKE FEVER !!!!
For the frosting need we cashews, vegetable yogurt, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, bourbon Vanilla, xanthan gum and a pinch of sea salt.
The cake base consists of jarred pineapple, oil, spelt flour (or gluten free flour mixture ), raw cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, bourbon vanilla and a pinch of salt.
If you want to skip the frosting completely, no problem. Just sprinkle some powdered sugar over the cake and you’re done! The dough tastes great even like this. One Golden Latte , Immune tonic or just a great hot cup of coffee with it and you’re done.
Off to the oven I would say? I hope you enjoy baking and of course about a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Fruity pineapple cake with cashew frosting
FOR THE CAKE BASE:
- 685 g Pineapple in glass Equivalent to one large or 2 small jars, divided 430g for the cake base + the rest for the filling.
- 90 ml Frying and baking oil alternatively melted vegan margarine
- 300 g fine spelt flour type630 alternatively gluten-free flour mixture
- 100 g Raw cane sugar
- ½ tbspn Baking powder
- ½ tbspn Baking soda
- ½ tbspn Bourbon vanilla ground or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
- 150 g Cashews soaked in hot water for 1 hour or in cold water for 6-8 hours
- 160 g Coconut yogurt
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 15 ml Lemon juice
- ¼ tbspn Lemon peel
- ¼ tbspn Bourbon vanilla ground or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbspn Xanthan Gum alternatively 60ml coconut oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- Chocolate shavings to taste
- Powdered sugar instead of cashew frosting
- Coconut cream instead of cashew frosting
- Cashews for the Frosting either soak in boiling hot water for 1 hour (do not cover) or in cold water for 6-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees and grease round Springfrom (26 cm) a little and dust with flour (optional).
- FOR THE cake base Place pineapple and oil in a high-powered blender and blend once on high speed to a fine liquid.685 g Pineapple in glass, 90 ml Frying and baking oil
- Add spelt flour (or gluten-free flour blend), raw cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, bourbon vanilla, and sea salt and mix until a uniform dough forms.300 g fine spelt flour type630, 100 g Raw cane sugar, ½ tbspn Baking powder, ½ tbspn Baking soda, ½ tbspn Bourbon vanilla ground or 1 tsp vanilla extract, A pinch of sea salt
- Pour into the baking dish, place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the Frosting prepare. To make this, place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend to a creamy frosting. Divide evenly into 2 bowls and place in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up nicely.160 g Coconut yogurt, 60 ml maple syrup, 15 ml Lemon juice, ¼ tbspn Lemon peel, ¼ tbspn Bourbon vanilla, ½ tbspn Xanthan Gum, A pinch of sea salt, 150 g Cashews
- Once the cake base is ready, do wooden stick test: Use a wooden stick to test if the cake is done. When the wooden stick comes out clean, then the cake is ready.
- Remove shells of cashew frosting from freezer and stir in remaining pineapple chunks into one shell.
- Remove the cake layer from the mold, cut in half and spread with some of the frosting (with the pineapple chunks). Place lid on top.
- In the next step, use the bowl of frosting to decorate the cake and smooth it with a knife. If you like, you can also paint the sides.Powdered sugar instead of cashew frosting, Coconut cream instead of cashew frosting
- (optional) decorate with chocolate shavings and cut into pieces, enjoy!Chocolate shavings to taste
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days, frozen (be sure to portion beforehand) will keep for a few weeks.
- Blendtec: https://amzn.to/2RsPpwh
- Xanthan Gum: https://amzn.to/2Sfddbv