Juicy chocolate cake with frosting that doesn’t need any oil and is also gluten-free? Yes, my dears, I tweaked this recipe and was surprised myself at the brilliant result. Lately, I’ve been looking more and more into oil-free variations because I want to reduce refined oil and margarine in my cooking. Admittedly, it doesn’t always work, but more and more often. This cake is a prime example of how to bake delicious without margarine and gluten-containing grains. I hope you enjoy the cake as much as I do. Feedback welcome.
Vegan chocolate cake with frosting
This fine cake is simple, fluffy and chocolatey. If you like to give up gluten, you’re just as golden, because today I’m baking with my gluten-free flour blend and oat flour.
TIP: I like to recommend my own mixed gluten-free flour blend, because many ready-made flour blends from the supermarket are too starchy for me.
As usual, the ingredient list is short and straightforward. Gluten-free flour mix, oat flour, raw cane sugar, cocoa powder, bourbon vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, salt, melted chocolate, apple pulp, maple syrup, a shot of espresso and plant milk. All this is mixed into a smooth dough and baked for 40 minutes. I use a rectangular shape with the dimensions 24×24 centimeters.
Simple vegan and gluten-free baking
In the meantime, I still prepare the frosty with only two ingredients. Coconut milk and dark vegan chocolate. These two ingredients are carefully melted over a water bath and then re-solidified in the refrigerator. After about 2 hours it can also be used. Stir vigorously once with a spoon or hand mixer and the fluffy, full-bodied frosting is ready. Now it may be spread on the cooled cake and ready!
If you’re craving another gluten-free temptation today, here’s what I recommend:
- Coffee cake with cinnamon sugar
- Blackberry chocolate cake
- Cake with caramelized apples
- Apple pie (gluten-free, oil-free)
- Juicy banana cake with cream
- Swiss walnut chocolate cake
- Quick poppy seed cake
- Jaffa cake
- Apricot pudding cake
Let’s start with this fine chocolate cakewith frosting. I hope you enjoy baking and of course about a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Vegan chocolate cake with frosting
FOR THE CAKE:
- 185 g gluten free flour mix
- 125 g Oatmeal
- 100 g Raw cane sugar
- 45 g Cocoa powder
- ¼ tbspn Bourbon vanilla ground or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbspn Baking soda
- 2 tbspn Baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 120 g dark vegan chocolate melted
- 125 g Apple pulp
- 63 g maple syrup
- 25 ml Espresso
- 375 ml Plant milk I use vanilla soy
- 250 g dark vegan chocolate
- 1 Cup Coconut milk cooled one night
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (convection) or 200 degrees (top-bottom heat) and line a loaf pan (24x24cm) with baking paper.
- FOR THE CAKE Place gluten-free flour blend, oat flour, raw cane sugar, cocoa powder, bourbon vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir until everything is well combined. Alternatively, use a hair sieve for sifting cocoa and flour.185 g gluten free flour mix, 125 g Oatmeal, 100 g Raw cane sugar, 45 g Cocoa powder, ¼ tbspn Bourbon vanilla ground, 1 tbspn Baking soda, 2 tbspn Baking powder, A pinch of salt
- In a second bowl, add melted dark vegan chocolate, apple paste, maple syrup, espresso and plant milk and stir until evenly combined.120 g dark vegan chocolate, 125 g Apple pulp, 63 g maple syrup, 25 ml Espresso, 375 ml Plant milk
- Then add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and mix together. Do not stir too long, otherwise you will stir the leavening out of the dough.
- The dough should be neither too solid nor too liquid and should be easy to transfer to the baking pan. If too firm, add a little more vegetable milk, if too runny, add a little more flour. The strength may vary from one type of flour to another.
- Place in the oven, bake for 40 minutes and test with a wooden stick to see if the cake is done. When the wooden stick comes out clean, then the cake is ready. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely (preferably at least an hour).
- In the meantime THE FROSTING make To do this, carefully melt the chocolate over a water bath.250 g dark vegan chocolate
- Open the coconut milk and skim only the coconut cream (not the liquid batter) from the can and add to the melted chocolate. Mix together carefully and put in the refrigerator1 Cup Coconut milk
- After about 2 hours, the frosting is firm enough to be processed further.
- Remove from refrigerator and whip with a spoon or hand mixer (or similar mixer). If the mixture is too firm, let it stand at room temperature for a few minutes.
- Straighten cake as needed and spread frosting directly on top.
- (Optional) decorate with grated chocolate, cut into pieces and enjoy!
- Keeps up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature, in the refrigerator up to 5 days.