Sweet potato salad with harissa is a wonderful way to bring many healthy foods to the table in one dish. At the moment, I’m totally into salads that are just not a classic salad. Our sweet potato salad today is a delicious combination, simply delicious and full of flavors. Legumes may not be missing and I have chosen today for chickpeas. They provide a full serving of complex carbohydrates, as well as vegetable proteins and keep you full for a long time. Besides, then you don’t have to hear that you’re a “pudding vegan.” I read the term in a book the other day and had to smile.
Vegan salad with sweet potatoes, chickpeas and harissa
Maybe you’re wondering now what a pudding vegan actually is? This is a vegan who eats only unhealthy vegan products, such as pudding, fast food, and industrially processed sweets. There are still many prejudices against the vegan diet and one of them is that it is unhealthy. I think it all depends on how you eat vegan. I try to eat as many whole foods as I can, like our salad today.
Essentially, there are two simple steps for the salad. First, the sweet potato, along with the chickpeas, olive oil and spices are mixed and roasted in the oven. In the second step, the dressing is mixed from yogurt, lemon juice, tahini, harissa and salt. Harissa, by the way, is a fiery hot spice mixture and an integral part of the traditional cuisine of North African countries such as Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia. The paste usually consists of olive oil, chili peppers, coriander seeds, cumin and salt.
TIP: If you do not have harissa paste in the house, you can also mix the individual components into the yogurt (chili, coriander, cumin and salt).
Vegan salad recipes
Once the sweet potato and chickpeas are done roasting, place them in a large salad bowl. I then let it cool briefly until I add the lamb’s lettuce and mix in the yogurt dressing, otherwise the salad can fall apart pretty quickly. If you like, add kale or arugula instead of lamb’s lettuce. Mix vigorously once and you are ready to serve.
TIP: I like to refine the salad with black & light sesame seeds and mild chili flakes.
Looking for a different salad recipe for every day? Then I recommend you the following delicacies:
- Creamy salad with red cabbage and lentils
- Quinoa salad with roasted hazelnuts, fennel and sweet potatoes
- Salad with roasted fennel and white beans
- Quick couscous salad
- Salad with tamari mushrooms
- Creamy apple carrot salad
- Creamy meat salad with jackfruit
- Spicy eggplant salad
The sweet potato salad with harissa is:
- High protein
- Full of roasted aromas
- Easy to make
Well, fancy a completely different, delicious vegan salad variant? I wish you a lot of fun in recooking and of course a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Sweet potato salad with harissa
FOR THE SALAD:
- 500 g Sweet potato with peel cut into cubes
- 400 g Chickpeas drained and washed well
- 15 ml Olive oil
- 1 tbspn Paprika powder
- 1 tbspn Cumin ground
- 1 Bird Eye Chili or another chili of your choice
- 100 g Lamb’s lettuce
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 45 g vegetable yogurt I use soy yogurt
- 30 ml Lemon juice
- 15 g Tahini
- 15 g Harissa
- Salt to taste
- Chili flakes
- Light sesame seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- FOR THE SALAD Preheat oven to 190 degrees convection (210 degrees top-bottom heat) and line baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place sweet potato cubes in a large bowl along with chickpeas, olive oil, paprika powder, cumin, and Bird Eye Chili and mix well. Spread evenly on baking sheet, place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.500 g Sweet potato, 400 g Chickpeas, 15 ml Olive oil, 1 tbspn Paprika powder, 1 tbspn Cumin, 1 Bird Eye Chili
- In the meantime, prepare the dressing.
- FOR THE DRESSING provide a blender. Add vegetable yogurt, lemon juice, tahini, harissa and salt. Process on high speed to make a fine sauce.45 g vegetable yogurt, 30 ml Lemon juice, 15 g Tahini, 15 g Harissa, Salt to taste
- Add roasted sweet potato and chickpeas, lamb’s lettuce and yogurt dressing to a large salad bowl and stir vigorously until well combined.100 g Lamb’s lettuce
- Divide among plates, garnish with sesame seeds and chili flakes and enjoy!Chili flakes, Light sesame seeds, Black sesame seeds
- Best fresh, especially together with the lamb’s lettuce not suitable for prolonged storage.