Grilled Bombay Sandwich with Indian spiced potatoes and mozzarella. Those who follow me on Instagram know that I was in London last week. Actually it was a vacation, but I made a business trip out of it. why? Because I’ve been looking for vegan restaurants all long day. London is just perfect for this, because there is something to discover on every corner. Finally, we ended up twice in a really good breakfast café, which was even organic in addition to vegan. After eating a wide variety of pancakes over and over again the days before, it was time for a hearty breakfast. No sooner said than done, I ordered a Grilled Sandwich and was instantly in love. Of course, I immediately made my own variation of it at home.
Grilled Bombay Sandwich
The Grilled Bombay Sandwich consists of sourdough slices grilled or toasted in a pan in a little olive oil. I top one slice with homemade mozzarella slices, you can get the recipe for that here! On top are Indian spiced potato slices, which I have previously tossed in some olive oil, garam malsala spice mix and salt.
The potato slices are placed on a baking sheet and baked in the oven at 220 degrees for 20 minutes. After that, they should be nice and soft inside and crispy outside. The fine slices go directly on the sandwich and it is closed at the end with the second slice of bread. Grill again briefly on the other side and heat until the mozzarella is already hot and swells a little from the sandwich.
Vegan Grilled Sandwich
It goes well with a mixed green salad, which still brings a nice freshness to the game. Otherwise, I can also recommend a hot sauce to go with it. I chose Green Salsa Hot Sauce from Suur Organics in this case(unpaid brand credit).
If you’re not in the mood for the Bombay Sandwich today, but are looking for a different sandwich or snack, I have the following recommendations for you:
- Vietnamese Bánh Mi Sandwich
- Gyros sandwich
- Shawarma sandwich
- Chickpea sandwich
- Soy Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Vegan “Tuna” Cream Sandwich
- Sandwich with hummus and vegetables
The Grilled Bombay Sandwich is
- Easy to make
Grilled Bombay Sandwich
- 6 Slices light airy sourdough bread
- 1 Portion vegan mozzarella homemade or purchased, sliced
- 500 g Potatoes peeled and cut lengthwise into 0.5cm wide slices
- 2 tbspn Garam Masala spice blend or any other Indian spice mixture of your choice
- 1 tbspn Salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 30 ml Olive oil or other high-heat oil of choice, + more to bake out.
- Hot sauce of your choice
- Fresh parsley
- Mixed salad
- OPTIONAL: Make a portion of vegan mozzarella. Preheat oven to 220 degrees convection (240 degrees top bottom heat).1 Portion vegan mozzarella
- Place potato slices in a bowl, along with the olive oil, garam masala, salt and black pepper. Mix everything well until the potatoes are evenly coated with the spices and oil.500 g Potatoes, 2 tbspn Garam Masala spice blend, 1 tbspn Salt, 30 ml Olive oil, Black pepper to taste
- Spread potato slices evenly and side by side on baking sheet and place in oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the slices are soft on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside.
- Shortly before the end of the baking time heat a pan and add a little olive oil. Place 2 slices of sourdough bread in each pan and toast. After 2 minutes, flip and top one slice with mozzarella. Place roasted potato slices directly on top and cover with the second slice of bread. Continue roasting for a few minutes, until the mozzarella is hot and maybe runs out of the sandwich a little.6 Slices light airy sourdough bread
- Repeat until all 3 sandwiches are done.
- Serve with hot sauce, parsley and side salad and enjoy! Best fresh.Hot sauce of your choice, Fresh parsley, Mixed salad