Do you know what my new passion is? Jackfruit ! I find the fruit so great, especially because it is so versatile. Especially in the Summer I often long for quick Sandwiches that make you full, but still bring a nice freshness. When you currently move through the city and pass a Greek every now and then, this wonderful smell rises to your nose. Of course, now I’m talking solely about the wonderful spices and freshly baked pita. Admittedly I have not made this myself this time, but there is soon also a Recipe to it, I promise!
VEGAN GYROS, WHERE?
Gyros is certainly one of the most famous Dishes of the Greek cuisine. You can get it on every corner, but vegan ? Unfortunately, I have not yet found a restaurant. Therefore, go into the kitchen and do it yourself.
For our kebab today Sandwich we need Jackfruit . I have already tested several variants here, including dried jackfruit pieces and the classic from the can. My favorite is and remains Jacky F. which I have already linked several times here on the blog. The startup company imports Jackfruit from Sri Lanka and also takes care of a fair remuneration of the local farmers. The products are 100% organic (EU organic seal) and fair trade. One more reason why I was thrilled to receive a small test package. As you know, I don’t actually accept products to promote. But since there is no rule without exception, I turned a blind eye to Jacky F.. why? Because I think it’s important to promote companies that operate sustainably. There is a good and especially fair thought behind the project, which I appreciate very much! If you want to know more about Jacky F., you will find here directly info .
GIMME MORE SPICES
A delicious gyros lives from the spices and they are not neglected in today’s dish. Garlic granules (or fresh garlic), oregano, cumin, cloves, a pinch of cinnamon and Bird Eye chili. They are fried hot together with a little olive oil and onion. Jackfruit To this, tomato paste, tamari, maple syrup, pepper and a sip of apple cider vinegar. wow!
HOW HEALTHY IS JACKFRUIT ACTUALLY?
Here there is only one clear answer: very healthy! Here are the most important facts about jackfruit:
- Low calorie (22 calories /100g)
- Does not contain fructose
- Rich in calcium, potassium, vitamin C and fiber
- Gluten free
- Eco-balance better than for meat despite long transport route
The vegan gyros sandwich with jackfruit is:
- Slightly spicy
- Quickly made
With this delicious Sandwich you can get
save the expensive summer vacation in Mykonos. I wish you a lot of fun in recooking and of course a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Vegan gyros sandwich with jackfruit
FOR THE GYROS:
- 15 ml Frying oil if you want to do without oil use vegetable broth for sautéing
- 1 medium red onion cut into fine strips
- 1 tbspn Garlic granules or 2 cloves of garlic peeled and pressed
- 1 tbspn Oregano dried
- 1/2 tbspn Cumin ground
- 1/4 tbspn Cinnamon ground
- 1/8 tbspn Cloves ground
- 1 Bird Eye Chili crushed or another chili of your choice
- 15 g Tomato paste
- 400 g Can young jackfruit I take the one from Jacky F from Alnatura
- 30 ml Tamari
- 15 ml maple syrup
- 15 ml Apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper after. At will
FOR THE SANDWICH:
- ½ Cucumber sliced
- 1 medium red onion cut into fine slices
- 2 Tomatoes Stalk removed, cut into slices
- Salad leaves to taste
- Vegan tsatziki 1 serving
- 4 vegan pita breads
- Fresh parsley to taste
- Preheat oven to 200degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Strain jackfruit and place in a bowl. Cut into smaller strips with a knife or tear into small pieces with your hands.
- Heat pan with oil, add onion and sauté until translucent.15 ml Frying oil, 1 medium red onion, 1 tbspn Garlic granules or 2 cloves of garlic
- Add oregano, cumin, cinnamon, and cloves and continue to saute.1 tbspn Oregano, 1/2 tbspn Cumin, 1/4 tbspn Cinnamon, 1/8 tbspn Cloves
- Add chili, tomato paste, jackfruit, tamari, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Stir vigorously once.1 Bird Eye Chili, 15 g Tomato paste, 400 g Can young jackfruit, 30 ml Tamari, 15 ml maple syrup, 15 ml Apple cider vinegar, Salt and pepper after. At will
- Simmer for another 10 minutes on low heat to allow everything to combine and the jackfruit to absorb the flavors well.
- Pour onto baking sheet, spread well and bake for 20 minutes until jackfruit is nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Cut open pita breads, fill with onion, cucumber, tomato, lettuce and jackfruit as desired. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!½ Cucumber, 1 medium red onion, 2 Tomatoes, Salad leaves to taste, Vegan tsatziki
- Jackfruit alone (not in a sandwich Keeps covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, but fresh is best!4 vegan pita breads, Fresh parsley to taste