It is once again a Recipe that has blown me away. How versatile can the vegan cuisine please be? I am thrilled every day anew. Last weekend we were with friends in Austria and it was just mega! Since our acquaintances are also “almost”vegan, I cooked of course and was once again more than surprised how cheap and easy it is now to eat purely plant-based. One evening we had vegan tacos with bean vegetables and that’s when I got the idea for today’s version with Jackfruit . No sooner said than done and off we go.
Are you ready for homemade vegan tacos?
This Recipe strictly speaking consists of four parts. You can of course choose to make everything yourself, or at least buy the tacos. I made the soft shell tacos myself and thought they were mega good. However, there are already good variants in the organic supermarket and if time is short, then it is worth resorting to a ready-made product. Otherwise, the preparation of the dough is simple and after a short rest of 30 minutes you can also start already. But the most important ingredient is the spicy Jackfruit . Onion, garlic granules, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, cinnamon, sambal olek, tomato paste, soy sauce, maple syrup, pepper, liquid smoke and apple cider vinegar. Sauté briefly so that everything combines well and then off to the oven for great roasted flavors.
Jackfruit is a real all-rounder
The only thing missing are the salsas. For the tomato salsa we need tomatoes (oh really?) Jokes aside! Yes, Tomatoes, green onion, lime juice, maple syrup, a pinch of salt and Pepper to taste.
Our tacos become perfectly round with a refreshing yogurt sauce. Coconut yogurt, lime juice, salt and pepper. That’s it! Now it’s up to you what else you’d like in your tacos. Lettuce leaves, cucumbers, lactic fermented vegetables , corn and much more. You decide! I purposely went for a more minimalist version and thought it was pretty darn tasty.
If you are in the mood for a delicious dessert again, then click your way through my vegan ice cream recipes . Maybe there is something for you.
The vegan tacos with jackfruit are:
- Hot and spicy
- simple to be produced
I wish you a lot of fun with this delicious Recipe and look forward to a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Vegan tacos with jackfruit
FOR THE JACKFRUIT:
- 800 g Canned young jackfruit – I take the one from Jacky F from the Alnatur
- 30 ml Frying oil alternatively another high heat oil
- 110 g red onion coarsely chopped
- 1 tbspn Garlic granules or 2 cloves of garlic pressed or finely chopped
- 1 tbspn Cumin ground
- 1 tbspn Paprika powder smoked
- 1 tbspn Coriander ground
- ¼ tbspn Cinnamon ground
- 1 tbspn Sambal Olek alternatively Bird-Eye chilies or other chilies to taste
- 30 g Tomato paste
- 30 ml maple syrup alternatively another liquid sweetener
- 45 ml Tamari alternatively another soy sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ tbspn liquid smoke can also be omitted, but gives a great aroma
- 15 ml Apple cider vinegar
FOR THE TOMATO SALSA:
- 5 Piece large, juicy tomatoes Remove stalk and dice
- 3 Piece Spring onion cut into rings
- 30 ml Lime juice
- 7,5 ml maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE YOGURT SAUCE:
- 500 g Coconut yogurt alternatively another vegetable yogurt
- 30 ml Lime juice alternatively lemon juice
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
FOR THE SOFTSHELL TACOS:
- 200 g fine spelt flour type630 alternatively another spelt or wheat flour
- ½ tbspn Baking powder
- ½ tbspn Salt
- 30 ml Olive oil alternatively another neutral oil
- 120 ml Warm water can like to be almost boiling hot, be careful when working with your hands
- Fresh coriander greens
- optional lactic fermented vegetables
- optional lettuce leaves and other vegetables
- FOR THE SOFTSHELL TACOS, place all ingredients in a large bowl or food processor fitted with a dough program and knead well once until a uniform, smooth dough is formed. Depending on the type of flour, you may need a little more flour (if too wet) or more water (if too dry) until the dough is ideal. The dough should be evenly kneaded, with a nice smooth surface. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 30 minutes .½ tbspn Baking powder, ½ tbspn Salt, 30 ml Olive oil, 120 ml Warm water, 200 g fine spelt flour type630
- Heat pan and coat with a little baking oil. I do this with a silicone brush to save oil.30 ml Frying oil
- After resting time, divide dough into 10 equal portions and shape into small round balls. On a floured work surface, roll out one ball flat and one round.
- Place in pan and bake for 1-2 minutes per side. Not too long, otherwise they will turn brown and dry. Repeat process until all tacos are baked and stack on top of each other, this will keep them nice and warm. Set aside.
- FOR THE JACKFRUIT , take jackfruit pieces from the can and strain (do not need to wash). Tear into small pieces with your hands, using the firm end.800 g Canned young jackfruit, 30 ml Frying oil, 110 g red onion, 1 tbspn Garlic granules or 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbspn Cumin, 1 tbspn Paprika powder, 1 tbspn Coriander, ¼ tbspn Cinnamon, 1 tbspn Sambal Olek, 30 g Tomato paste, 30 ml maple syrup, 45 ml Tamari, Black pepper to taste, ½ tbspn liquid smoke, 15 ml Apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees, line baking sheet with baking paper. If available, use the grill function, otherwise use convection.
- Heat a pan with the frying oil, add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic granules, cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, sambal olek (or chili) and tomato paste and mix well once.
- Add jackfruit chunks, maple syrup, tamari, pepper, liquid smoke and apple cider vinegar and mix well again until everything is evenly combined.
- Pour onto a baking sheet and spread well. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes until pieces are nicely browned.
- After the baking time is up, turn off the oven and leave it still in the oven to keep everything nice and warm.
- FOR THE TOMATO SALSA Place tomatoes, green onion, lime juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a medium bowl, mix well and set aside.5 Piece large, juicy tomatoes, 30 ml Lime juice, 7,5 ml maple syrup, Salt and pepper to taste, 3 Piece Spring onion
- FOR THE YOGURT SAUCE Add coconut yogurt, lime juice, sea salt and black pepper to a medium bowl and mix well. Set aside.30 ml Lime juice, Sea salt to taste, Black pepper to taste, 500 g Coconut yogurt
- Finally, fill each softshell taco with jackfruit, tomato salsa and yogurt sauce. Decorate with fresh cilantro leaf and enjoy!Fresh coriander greens, optional lactic fermented vegetables, optional lettuce leaves and other vegetables
- Tastes best fresh.
- Mixing bowl: https://amzn.to/2PwjE5y
- Silicone brush: https://amzn.to/2IdKBL4