Toast Hawaii doesn’t really fit on my blog, does it? I usually always make sure that the recipes are wholesome and healthy. However, I just had to post this dish because it was an absolute classic for Christmas and New Year’s Eve in our family for a long time. When my grandma was alive, she always wanted Toast Hawaii. You could also tell she liked it because she kept asking for seconds. When I switched to a vegan diet, I didn’t think about this delicious combination for a long time. However, this year we celebrate the great comeback of Toast Hawaii. Are you with us?
Toast Hawaii vegan
You may have heard that I did a semester abroad in Hawaii during my studies. Therefore, I can also confirm firsthand that this dish is definitely not from there. If you look around on Google, you will find an article about Germany’s first television chef named Carl Clemens Wilmenrod, from the Westerwald. He introduced the Toast Hawaii already in the fifties on television. The original recipe has not changed to this day, consisting of a slice of toast, some butter, ham, pineapple, cheese and not to forget a cocktail cherry.
For the vegan version, I use light spelt toast (or a gluten-free version), some margarine, smoked tofu, pineapple slices, and vegan processed cheese. On the cocktail cherry I have renounced, because I had none in the house and also so no use for it. Once everything is layered, it goes into the oven and is baked for 15 minutes at 175 degrees convection .
TIP: It is important to remove the toasts from the oven when the baking time is up, otherwise they can quickly become dry.
Make vegan toast Hawaii yourself
New Year’s Eve is just around the corner and maybe you’re looking for more ideas for a relaxing evening with your loved ones:
- Carrot salmon on cashew cream cheese
- Beet carpacchio
- Creamy meat salad with jackfruit
- Chickpea muffins
- 3-Beans Chili
- Vegan goulash with jackfruit
- vegan potato salad
That Toast Hawaii is vegan:
- Easy to manufacture
I wish you a lot of fun in the recooking and look forward to a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Toast Hawaii vegan
- 8 Slices Toast light spelt toast, wholemeal or gluten-free version of your choice
- 1-2 tbspn Margarine or more at will
- 300 g Smoked tofu cut into thin slices, I use the smoked tofu from Taifun
- 8 Rings Pineapple canned or fresh
- 8 Slices vegan processed cheese I use the “spicy gourmet slices” from Simply V
- Heat oven to 175 convection (195 degrees top and bottom heat) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a permanent baking mat.
- Spread toast slices on the baking sheet.8 Slices Toast
- Brush with a little margarine.1-2 tbspn Margarine
- Top with slices of smoked tofu.300 g Smoked tofu
- Place one ring of pineapple on each toast.8 Rings Pineapple
- Place one slice of processed cheese on each and place in the oven.8 Slices vegan processed cheese
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven. Best enjoyed fresh and hot!
- NOTE: Do not leave toast in the oven any longer after the baking time is up, or they will dry out quickly.
You are currently viewing a placeholder content from Youtube. To access the actual content, click the button below. Please note that doing so will share data with third-party providers.More Information