Actually, I thought Shepherd’s Pie only went in the Autumn/Winter season. However, the Recipe so pleased that I just made it. It’s summer and it’s 27 degrees outside. Was it a mistake? No, absolutely not, because the dish is just mega good and if it’s not necessarily 36 degrees in the shade, you can enjoy it even on summer days. The nice thing about it is that you can portion it really well and freeze it. Side dishes aren’t really necessary either, since it’s so substantial. So my dears, I would say go for the lenses!
Sweet potato for the win – Shepherd’s Pie
Ok, let’s think about how best to prepare the Shepherd’s so that everything goes as quickly as possible. First of all I prepare the Mashed potatoes prepare. Peel the potatoes, Sweet potato clean and cut everything into cubes. Boil them in salted water until they are nice and cooked through. In the meantime, I prepare the stuffing from onion, garlic, thyme, marjoram, basil, oregano, chili, cloves, nutmeg, molasses, mushrooms, mixed vegetables, lentils, corn, starch and Vegetable milk to. If you like, substitute the spices from thyme to chili with an Italian spice blend I’ve linked below. Once it’s all nicely combined in the pan, it goes directly into the baking dish. The mashed potatoes are spread, smoothed out and off to the oven.
How healthy are lentils actually?
I think there is hardly anyone who would claim that lentils are unhealthy. Well, there are always a few people who don’t like them or just can’t stand them. Yet there is so much in the little legumes. Above all, they are very good sources of protein and are particularly well utilized by the body when combined with rice or cereals. It is not for nothing that for centuries there has been the combination of lentils and rice, or pasta. With this method, you provide your body with all the important amino acids in one wash. Here you come to my fried rice with lentils. If you like, just combine a serving of whole wheat pasta with your Shepherd’s Pie.
But what else is in lentils? Here is a small overview:
- B vitamins
- Vitamin A (resp. the precursor provitamin A)
- Vitamin E
- Magnesium, Phosphorus, calcium, potassium
However, lentils are not only healthy, but also incredibly versatile and hard to imagine vegan cuisine without them. Simple Lentil Dal , Soy Pulled Pork Sandwich , Lentil Soup , Lentil Bolognese and Lentil Roast are just a few examples of the use of the healthy legume. I hope there is also something for you!
The vegan Shepherd’s Pie is:
- High fiber
- simple to be produced
Let’s go with this delicious vegan oven dish. I wish you a lot of fun with the re-cooking and am happy about a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
FOR THE POTATO TOPPING:
- 300 g Sweet potato cleaned and cut into cubes, equivalent to a large sweet potato
- 200 g Potatoes peeled and cut into cubes, equals 2 potatoes *if not at hand take more sweet potato or the other way around
- 15 g Margarine or olive oil, if oil-free simply leave out
- 1/8 tbspn Nutmeg a knife tip
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE LENTIL-VEGETABLE STUFFING:
- 15 ml Frying and baking oil alternatively another high heat oil, if oil free deglaze with vegetable stock
- 1 Piece red onion peeled and finely diced
- 2 Piece Garlic cloves peeled and pressed or finely diced, optionally 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbspn Thyme*
- ½ tbspn Marjoram *
- ½ tbspn Oregano*
- 1 Bird Eye Chili or other chili to taste *
- 1/8 tbspn Cloves corresponds to the tip of a knife
- 1/8 tbspn Nutmeg corresponds to the tip of a knife
- 15 g Coconut blossom sugar alternatively maple syrup
- 7,5 g Sugar cane molasses if not at hand simply omit
- 90 g Mushrooms cut into fine slices
- 100 g mixed frozen organic vegetables Alternatively, use fresh carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and other vegetables of choice and blanch for 5 minutes beforehand
- 200 g sweet corn drained and washed well with cold water corresponds to a can or jar, alternatively use peas
- 480 g green lentils drained and well washed with cold water* – 2 cans or jars of 400g each
- 150 ml Oat milk or any other vegetable milk at will
- 19 g Cornstarch alternatively use flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 30 ml Water
- Basil or other fresh herbs to taste
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees convection and provide a medium casserole dish.
- Remove mixed frozen organic vegetables from freezer and allow to thaw.
- Place diced sweet potato and potato in a pot and fill with water until potatoes are covered. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes until cubes are cooked through. Drain and set aside.300 g Sweet potato, 200 g Potatoes
- Heat a pan with frying oil, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add thyme, marjoram, oregano, chili, cloves, nutmeg, coconut blossom sugar and molasses and mix well once until everything is well combined.15 g Margarine, 1/8 tbspn Nutmeg, Salt and pepper to taste, 15 ml Frying and baking oil, 1 Piece red onion, 2 Piece Garlic cloves, 1 tbspn Thyme*, ½ tbspn Marjoram *, ½ tbspn Oregano*, 1 Bird Eye Chili or other chili to taste *, 1/8 tbspn Cloves, 1/8 tbspn Nutmeg, 15 g Coconut blossom sugar, 7,5 g Sugar cane molasses
- Add mushrooms, mixed organic vegetables, corn and lentils and continue stirring.100 g mixed frozen organic vegetables, 200 g sweet corn drained and washed well with cold water, 480 g green lentils drained and well washed with cold water* – 2 cans or jars of 400g each, 90 g Mushrooms
- Pour oat milk into a bowl, add cornstarch and whisk until starch is dissolved. Add to the pan with the vegetables and lentils and stir until everything is slightly thickened. Season with salt, pepper and other spices of your choice and pour into the baking dish. Smooth out and set aside.150 ml Oat milk, 19 g Cornstarch, Salt and pepper to taste, 30 ml Water
- For the mashed potatoes, place the cooked sweet potato and potato cubes in a bowl or blender, along with the margarine, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Process with a masher or blender to a fine puree.
- Spread over lentil-vegetable mixture and smooth. Use a fork to draw in patterns as desired.
- Put in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes.
- Portion onto plates, garnish with fresh herbs and serve.Basil or other fresh herbs to taste
- Keep leftovers covered in the fridge for 2-3 days. Alternatively, portion, freeze (up to 1 month).