“Beingvegan is already great, but I couldn’t do without mine. Cheese I couldn’t do without.” I hear this very, very often when I talk to friends and acquaintances about the topic of plant-based nutrition. To be honest, I would also be missing something if I didn’t have a proper substitute for Parmesan.
Make parmesan cheese yourself
This spicy “parmesan” based on cashews goes incredibly well with many dishes and I always have a jar of it in the fridge too. Perfect is the vegetable Parmesan especially because it is much healthier than its namesake. Here is some information about the ingredients:
Cashews have a high content of:
- Magnesium and phosphorus (bones and teeth)
- polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Vitamins A, B, D and E
1,2,3, the vegan parmesan is ready in 5 minutes and is on the table
Nutritional yeast is the secret to the intense, spicy, cheese-like flavor. But what is nutritional yeast actually? In the production process, yeast is cultivated on cereals, mixed with wheat flour and sea salt, and then dried. Finally, the mass is rolled and ground into yeast flakes. Gluten free? No problem, the Rapunzel company, for example, offers rice-based yeast flakes. I haven’t seen this product in the local Alnatura yet, but you can get it for example via the Rapunzel online store.
Salt and garlic powder and freshly grated lemon z est (thanks for the tip @Danni Dunn) round out the Then just pour it into a jar and you’re done with an alternative to the Italian classic.
What does the parmesan go with? I already have a great dishes in stock:
- simple vegan lentil bolognese with delicious gluten-free tagliatelle
- crispy tandoori chickpeas spelt pizza
- vegan pumpkin mac ‘n’ cheese
- Stir-Fry with cauliflower rice
- Bolognese with kale and tofu
- Pasta with paprika sauce
I’m sure you’ll love this vegan parmesan. Of course, I will be happy to receive a review at the very bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Make vegan parmesan yourself (How-to Guide)
- Blend or pulse all ingredients in a blender to a fine meal. I prefer to use my MagiMix here, as it quickly becomes too fine and mushy with the Blendtech due to the high speeds.90 g raw cashews, 9 g Nutritional yeast, ¾ tbspn Sea salt, ¼ tbspn Garlic granules, 1 TL freshly grated zest of one organic lemon
- Pour into a sealable jar and store in the refrigerator. Lasts up to several weeks.