Rogan what? Now please be sure to read on, even if the name of this dish doesn’t sound very familiar at first. Rogan Josh, there is a curry variation that originated in Persia and can be found sporadically here in Germany. I came up with it when I was in the trusted organic supermarket one day and spotted a ready-made blend on the shelf. Thanks to my irrepressible curiosity when it comes to new recipes, I immediately went on a search and came up with a simple, quick and delicious one Recipe for Rogan Josh. Try it!
Rogan Josh Curry what? Or simply a delicious vegan curry
Let’s take a look at the ingredients list. First you need a portion of Tempeh (available in many Asian stores, online or organic markets), mushrooms and chickpeas. For this we make a homemade curry paste with a red chili, garlic, a handful of coriander, ginger, tomato paste, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, cumin, curry powder, paprika (smoked), a pinch of salt and a red bell pepper. Yes, it’s time to stock up the spice rack again. Especially in the vegan cuisine spices are the magic icing on the cake in any kitchen.
Here’s a tutorial for anyone who wants to really get into vegan cooking. Of course, you don’t have to buy every spice right now. It’s best to work your way down from the top.
Spices are somehow like plates – the collection is never perfect
- Sea salt
- black pepper
- Chili flakes (I love Bird Eye chilies)
- Garlic granules
- Paprika (sweet and smoked)
- Herbs: oregano, thyme, basil, bay leaves, rosemary
Of course, this is only a small excerpt from the huge variety of spices and I will certainly write more about it again soon.
Welcome to the world of vegan curries
I am very glad that I came across this Recipe especially because it is a welcome change from the classic red, yellow and green “standard” curries. So “let’s do this”!
The preparation is done in two simple steps, Tempeh , Chickpeas and sauté mushrooms in a little oil. Place ingredients for curry paste in a high-powered blender and blend until a uniform creamy paste is formed. Add to the pan, Voilà!
A word about tempeh, chickpeas and the mushrooms:
- instead of mushrooms also work wonderfully oyster mushrooms
- if you don’t have tempeh, feel free to use tofu or seitan
- if you don’t have chickpeas, feel free to use lentils or black beans
So, from now on, there are no excuses to cook the dish right away. Come on! Perfect with vegan naan bread and basmati rice.
Persian Rogan Josh Curry :
- Oriental spiced
- High protein
- With lots of vegetables
- Easy to make
Are you ready for a delicious Persian Curry ? I wish you a lot of fun in recooking and of course a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Persian Rogan Josh Curry (30 minutes)
- 30 ml Frying oil or other heat resistant oil
- 240 g Chickpeas drained and washed well with cold water*.
- 200 g Mushrooms or oyster mushrooms
- 200 g Tempeh cut into pieces
FOR THE CURRY PASTE:
- 1 Red chili
- 6 g (2) garlic cloves peeled and chopped or pressed
- 10 g fresh ginger peeled (2 tsp)
- 30 g Tomato paste 2 TBSP.
- 1 tbspn Cinnamon
- 1 tbspn Cardamom
- ½ tbspn ground cloves Be careful with the dosage, if you use too much clove powder it will quickly become bitter or 3 whole cloves (cooked whole).
- 2 tbspn Cumin
- 1 ½ tbspn Curry powder Degree of sharpness according to preference
- 1 tbspn Paprika smoked
- ½ tbspn black pepper
- ½ tbspn Salt
- 1 red bell bell pepper washed and core removed
- 1 tbspn Coconut blossom sugar alternatively maple syrup
- Vegan naan bread
- Black cumin seed
- Fresh coriander leaf
- Basmati rice
- OPTIONAL: Cook rice according to package directions or preferably precook (this saves time).
- FOR THE CURRY PASTE place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until a uniform paste is formed. If too thick, dilute with a little water.1 Red chili, 6 g (2) garlic cloves, 10 g fresh ginger, 30 g Tomato paste, 1 tbspn Cinnamon, 1 tbspn Cardamom, ½ tbspn ground cloves, 2 tbspn Cumin, 1 ½ tbspn Curry powder, 1 tbspn Paprika, ½ tbspn black pepper, ½ tbspn Salt, 1 red bell bell pepper, 1 tbspn Coconut blossom sugar
- Put a large pan on the stove and heat oil in it. Add in the chickpeas, mushrooms and tempeh and fry over medium heat for about 10 minutes until everything is nicely browned and the mushrooms have softened.30 ml Frying oil or other heat resistant oil, 240 g Chickpeas drained and washed well with cold water*., 200 g Mushrooms, 200 g Tempeh
- Add curry paste, stir and simmer under medium heat for another 5-10 minutes. Add a little water if necessary.
- Divide between 2 plates, garnish with (optional) rice, naan bread and desired toppings and enjoy!Vegan naan bread, Black cumin seed, Fresh coriander leaf, Basmati rice
- Lasts up to 5 days in the refrigerator or 1 month in the freezer. Ideally, heat in a steamer or in a pot after adding a little water.