I am sad, very sad, but not because of the Zwetschgendatschi. Why then? Because we have a huge plum tree in our backyard and we don’t have a single fruit on the tree this year. No harvest, nothing! By the way, if you’re not from Bavaria, here’s a little clarification. We do not say here Plums but Plums and at my grandma’s there used to be trays full of Zwetschendatschi with lots of crumble and Cream . Today, however, we make a very simple, relaxed vegan version of it. There is also only one disadvantage, which one? You will learn more about this further down in the text.
Plum, plum or the main thing that tastes good
The base of our cake today is a shortbread(gluten free plum cake recipe). The consists of spelt flour, vegan margarine, raw cane sugar, baking powder, water and bourbon vanilla. Once everything is ready, the dough goes into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes . This makes it nice and firm and easier to work with afterwards.
The Plums (plums) I have this year unfortunately not from their own garden and have therefore ordered them from the Ökokiste. I find the local eco-boxes totally great, especially because there is no plastic waste. You’ll also be supporting certified organic food suppliers who put their heart and soul into healthy soil and food. This is not paid advertising and I am not affiliated with any vendor except that I shop there with conviction. I even ordered regionally grown lemongrass in the last box.
The shortbread is topped with the delicious, juicy plums and then? The only thing missing is the crumble made from spelt flour, margarine, raw cane sugar, bourbon vanilla and cinnamon. And now we come to the disadvantage of this recipe. A lot of sugar and fat are used here, and this cannot be avoided (similar to the Nut cookies ). So if you’re looking for something low-calorie and low-fat, this is not the place for you. Well, but it tastes just so good and such a small piece goes already, right?
How healthy are actually plums?
Plums are healthy, but do not necessarily reach peak levels when it comes to vitamin content. But that doesn’t mean they have nothing to offer. They are rich in:
- Minerals (zinc, iron, potassium, calcium and magnesium)
- Provitamin A, B-complex, vitamin C and E
- Low calorie with 48kcal/100g
- Fructose (good energy supplier)
- Cellulose and Pectin (digestive)
And what’s the best thing to serve with our delicious, juicy-sweet Zwetschgendatschi? Cream ! Best Coconut cream, homemade . Alternatively Vanilla cashew cream , or simply pure. If you’re really in the mood for dessert, you can treat yourself to an scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Let’s get started with this ingenious Zwetschgendatschi. I hope you enjoy baking and of course about a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Vegan Zwetschgendatschi (plum cake)
FOR THE SHORTCRUST PASTRY:
- 180 g Flour I use whole spelt flour, alternatively light spelt flour type630 or gluten-free flour mixture
- 80 g vegan margarine I use organic alsan
- 80 g Raw cane sugar replace partially or completely with coconut blossom sugar or raw cane sugar
- 50 ml Cold water
- ½ tbspn Baking powder
- ½ tbspn Bourbon vanilla ground
FOR THE COVER:
- 500 g fresh plums (weight after pitting) washed, seeded and halved
FOR THE CRUMBLE:
- FOR THE MORTAR DUTY Place flour, margarine, raw cane sugar, water, baking powder and bourbon vanilla in a large baking bowl and work with your hands to form a uniform dough.180 g Flour, 80 g vegan margarine, 80 g Raw cane sugar, 50 ml Cold water, ½ tbspn Baking powder, ½ tbspn Bourbon vanilla
- Cover, place in refrigerator and let rest for 30 minutes. Also happy to prepare and let rest overnight.
- In the meantime, prepare and (optional: grease and dust) a springform pan or square baking tray (25x25cm).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (top and bottom heat).
- FOR THE STREUSEL, place all ingredients in a large bowl and knead well with your hands. The dimensions should hold together, but also crumble easily. Set aside.½ tbspn Bourbon vanilla, 150 g Flour, 100 g vegan margarine, 80 g Raw cane sugar, ½ tbspn Bourbon vanilla
- Pour shortcrust pastry into the mold and flatten with your hands to incorporate it into the mold. (Optional) work with a small dough roller. Pull up the edges a little on the sides.
- Cover the dough base closely with the halved plums and crumble crumbs over them with your hands.500 g fresh plums (weight after pitting)
- Put in the oven and bake for 60 minutes. The cake is ready when it is baked to a nice golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Cut into pieces, place on a plate and top with coconut cream and vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- Lasts up to 4 days (without topping) in the refrigerator, frozen (best portioned) up to 4 weeks.