Vegan paella my dears, finally here on veganevibes.com. Admittedly, the Spanish national dish has long appealed to me, however, I kept putting it off. The other day I went through our vacation pictures and ended up at our Barcelona vacation. There we ate a super delicious vegan paella in a small, cute restaurant in Barcelonetta (which is a historic district right almost directly on the beach of Barcelona). When the memories came back, I got right to work. Let’s go with our delicious paella.
Vegan paella – quick and easy
Our paella today could not be simpler and there are also just a few tips and tricks to make sure it succeeds. Let’s start with the rice, because this should definitely be a so-called Arborio rice (medium grain rice of the Superfino variety). This is a special rice that has a faster cooking time than many other types of rice.
It is also important to use a large pan with high sides or a special paella pan. If the pan is too shallow, then the contents may spill out, and we want to avoid that at all costs. First comes some oil in the pan, red onion, garlic, herb mushrooms, bell bell pepper, tomato paste, tamari, lemon juice, passata, smoked paprika, cherry tomatoes, maple syrup, salt, bell pepper and saffron. At the very end, stir in the rice and peas and deglaze with vegetable broth. Now the dish is allowed to simmer, covered, over medium heat for 20-25 minutes.
Cook simple vegan Spanish dishes
The most important in paella is saffron, a golden yellow coloring spice and highly potent remedy. Saffron is said to be a natural sexual enhancer for women and men alike, and also helps with depression and PMS. The spice is said to possess anti-cancer properties and have antioxidant effects. Maybe you wonder why saffron is so expensive? This is due to the elaborate processing, because the fine threads are harvested by hand. By the way, you can easily trace whether your purchase is genuine saffron or a fake. Put a saffron thread in a glass of water, if it immediately turns brownish or yellowish, then it is a fake. Real saffron takes around 10-15 minutes to release its dye. Unfortunately, in the meantime, even the paellas are economized and instead of saffron a food additive is used. Here it is always worth asking.
Quick vegan dishes
If you are looking for other quick dishes with rice, then I recommend the following dishes:
- Burritos with Spanish rice and tempeh
- Burritos with couscous
- Vegan rice with peanut sauce
- Fried rice with lentils
- Crispy cashew butter tofu with cauliflower rice (low carb)
This recipe is simple, delicious and a nice change of pace with subtle saffron flavor. Viva L’Espagna!
The vegan paella is:
- Easy to manufacture
- Extremely tasty
Well, did you get a craving for this hearty rice dish? I wish you a lot of fun with the re-cooking and of course I am happy about a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Vegan paella (45 minutes)
- Large pot with lid
FOR THE SPANISH RICE:
- 15 ml Oil Vegetable broth if oil free
- 100 g red onion peeled and diced
- 3 Piece Garlic cloves peeled and diced
- 3 Piece Herb mushrooms cleaned sliced, provides a great bite in the dish
- 1 Piece red bell pepper core removed, cut into strips
- 30 g Tomato paste
- 45 g Tomato passata or any other tomato sauce of your choice
- 45 ml Lemon juice
- 15 ml Tamari or another soy sauce or coconut aminos of your choice
- ½ tbspn Paprika smoked
- 5-6 Cherry tomatoes washed and halved
- 15 ml maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
- 370 g Arborio rice uncooked
- 1000 ml Vegetable broth
- 135 g Green peas frozen or fresh
- ½ tbspn Saffron threads
- ½ tbspn Salt
- Pepper to taste
FOR THE REST:
- Fresh lemon slices
- Heat a large saucepan with filling volume and pour in oil.15 ml Oil
- Add the onion and garlic cloves and sauté. Add the herb mushrooms and continue to sauté until the mushrooms are translucent.100 g red onion, 3 Piece Garlic cloves, 3 Piece Herb mushrooms
- Add peppers, tomato paste, tomato passata, lemon juice, tamari, paprika, cherry tomatoes, maple syrup and saffron threads and continue to sauté and stir well.1 Piece red bell pepper, 30 g Tomato paste, 45 g Tomato passata, 45 ml Lemon juice, 15 ml Tamari, ½ tbspn Paprika, 5-6 Cherry tomatoes, 15 ml maple syrup, ½ tbspn Saffron threads
- Add arborio rice and continue stirring.370 g Arborio rice
- Deglaze with vegetable stock and add the green peas. Stir well once again and cover.1000 ml Vegetable broth, 135 g Green peas, ½ tbspn Salt, Pepper to taste
- Simmer for 20 minutes with the lid closed over medium heat.
- Remove the lid and check if the rice is cooked soft. If not, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir through and allow to infuse again briefly.
- Serve in the pan or portion on plates, garnish with fresh lemon slices and parsley and enjoy.parsley, Fresh lemon slices
- Serve and enjoy! Best fresh.