Do you love Indian food? Then this recipe is just right for you. But not only then, but also when you’ve walked past SEITAN in the organic market a hundred times and didn’t know what to do with it. I don’t make seitan every day, but every now and then I find it very tasty.
Are you a seitan lover? Butter Chicken is waiting for you
Until now, I have only bought SEITAN ready-made and have never made it myself. Well, one thing at a time. We do not want to dwell too long on the meat substitute from wheat protein, because this post is about a heavenly delicious, Indian dish , with which you will melt away.
Fancy a bit of Bollywood feeling?
Just a few weeks ago we ordered Indian with friends. As a vegan not one really much choice and there was once again the simple variant of a lentil dal. Sure, that’s super tasty too, but if I had a choice, I’d rather have ordered the “Butter Chicken“. This was exactly the reason why I started looking for a delicious vegan substitute. Sought, found and damn tasty!
What makes this dish so delicious? The spices! Bay leaves, garam masala, cumin, chili and garlic. In the second step, however, it is the sauce that is ultimately “for the taking” in the truest sense of the word:
- Cashews as a base
- Plant milk
- Coconut cream (the solid part in the coconut milk)
- Tomatoes Passata
- Coconut sugar
- Corn starch (for binding)
- and a dash of lemon juice
Ok, not to forget a really good blender, then the sauce will be extra creamy! There are dishes where reason stops and you just can’t stop eating. Yes, this is one of those. So if you’re currently on a detox trip or want to lose a few pounds, definitely steer clear.
30 minutes, a little multitasking, a handful of spices and your ‘Butter Chicken’ is purely plant-based and sooooo delicious. Now all you have to do is invite your sweetheart and put on a turban (ok, that’s only if it’s carnival or for my Cologne friends). Topping is fresh coriander, served with basmati rice and delicious yummy Naan bread or Naan (gluten free). Get a pleasure?
The simplest ‘butter chicken’ with naan is:
- Incredibly aromatic
- Full of healthy protein
- Easy to make
Are you ready for some Bollywood? I wish you a lot of fun in recooking and of course a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Vegan ‘Butter Chicken’ with Naan (30 minutes!)
FOR THE BUTTER CHICKEN:
- 200 g Seitan I use alberts Seitan NATUR Alternatively use a can of chickpeas
- 15 ml Frying oil or coconut oil
- 1 Piece Shallot finely diced
- 2 Piece Garlic cloves finely diced or pressed
- 28 g vegan margarine
- 2 Piece Bay leaves
- 3 tbspn Garam Masala
- 1 tbspn Cumin
- ½ tbspn Cinnamon
- ½ tbspn Turmeric
- ¼ tbspn Chili powder or 1 Birds Eye Chili
- 2 tbspn freshly grated ginger
- 300 ml Vegetable broth
- Sea salt to taste
FOR THE CASHEW SAUCE:
- Basmati rice
- Naan bread
- Fresh coriander
- Prepare Basamti rice according to package instructions.
- Cut seitan into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Prepare a shallow bowl or plate lined with paper towels.200 g Seitan
- Heat medium pan with frying oil and fry or “deep fry” seitan on both sides until golden brown. Remove from pan and place in bowl with paper towels to remove excess fat. Set aside.15 ml Frying oil or coconut oil, 200 g Seitan
- In the same pan for the BUTTER CHICKEN vegan heat margarine, sauté onion (shallot) and garlic in it for about 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add all the spices and the freshly grated ginger. Stir briefly and deglaze with the vegetable broth.1 Piece Shallot, 2 Piece Garlic cloves, 28 g vegan margarine, 2 Piece Bay leaves, 3 tbspn Garam Masala, 1 tbspn Cumin, ½ tbspn Cinnamon, ½ tbspn Turmeric, ¼ tbspn Chili powder or 1 Birds Eye Chili, 2 tbspn freshly grated ginger, 300 ml Vegetable broth
- Season with salt and simmer over medium heat.Sea salt to taste
- Meanwhile, place all ingredients for the CASHEW SAUCE in a high-powered blender and blend on the strongest setting for 60 seconds to make a creamy sauce.250 ml Almond milk or another vegetable milk, 125 ml Coconut cream, 250 ml Tomatoes Passata, 1 tbspn Coconut blossom sugar, 1-2 tbspn Cornstarch, 15 ml Lemon juice, 120 g Cashews
- CASHEW SAUCE to the simmering vegetable broth with the spices and add the fried seitan. Stir, let it get really hot again and serve immediately.
- Serve with basmati rice, fresh Naan and coriander.Basmati rice, Naan bread, Fresh coriander
- Lasts up to 3 days in the refrigerator or 1 month in the freezer. It is best to heat in steamer.