Is there anything better than a hot vegan chicken soup? Surely one or the other thinks now, why I call my soup chicken soup, although there is no chicken in it. It is a challenge to find the right vegan names for classic dishes of the German cuisine to find. Meat is now Vleisch or the good old butcher shop is suddenly called Vetzgerei. I think everything is allowed and you should also show a little tolerance here. On this occasion I have to smile briefly and think of a comment of an acquaintance who had asked me some time ago, why vegans actually want to eat something like sausage? I have thought about this for a long time and in my opinion it has a lot to do with enjoyment. What should be vegan liver sausage bread be reprehensible? Well, let’s get to the essence of this post, chicken soup, or maybe we want to call it chicken soup or henasuppn?
Vegan chicken soup, not only suitable for vegans
Actually, there is only a small but subtle difference in making a vegan chicken soup. Well, not so easy, is it? Sure, the chicken is out and the Chickpeas are in. The small pale yellow protein bombs are also sometimes called “the chicken meat of vegans”. That’s it, because the rest is virtually identical to my grandma’s recipe.
Frying oil, red onion, carrot, celery, thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, marjoram, nutmeg, turmeric, vegetable broth, chickpeas, soup noodles and tamari. If you like, you can season with salt and pepper, but I found the seasoning with tamari to be absolutely sufficient. I could literally lie down in this soup and eat it virtually day and night. Especially when the weather gets worse, the days shorter and the cold wetness moves into the country.
TIP: When it comes to ready-made vegetable broths, I personally always make sure that they are organic and vegan. Just check the label to see what exactly is in it. Animal ingredients and a whole range of additives often creep into the product. I have linked you my favorite product below.
Chickpeas – vegan protein bombs!
Chickpeas are often totally underestimated in German cuisine, but they are an extremely good source of protein for vegans and those who want to become one:
- 20g protein on 100g
- Contain almost all amino acids, especially the essential amino acids lysine and threonine (best combined with a cereal or rice to enhance the amino acid profile. to complete)
- Rich in Minerals such as magnesium, iron and zinc
- Rich in Dietary fiber
- Included Vitamin A, B, C and E
TIP: If you want to use chickpeas in the dried state, it is best to soak them overnight in cold water and then cook them. The cooking time of the soup is then extended accordingly (cooking time about 2 hours). For canned or jarred chickpeas, I recommend thorough washing and a brief 15-minute soak in cold water. This makes them more digestible.
Grandma’s chicken soup is vegan:
- Ideal for cold Days
- Full of healthy Herbs
- Fast and simple
Are you ready the delicious and tasty, vegan and warming chicken soup? I wish you a lot of fun in recooking and of course a review at the bottom of this page. If you post a picture, use the hashtag #veganevibes.
Grandma’s chicken soup vegan
- 30 ml Frying oil or other high heat oil 2 tablespoons, feel free to omit if oil-free
- 1 red onion or 2 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 70 g Celery sticks washed and finely chopped, 4 sticks
- 130 g Carrots halved and sliced, 1 cup
- 265 g Chickpeas drained* – 1 can or jar with 400g
- 30 g Soup powder 2 tablespoons, vegan and organic
- 1000 ml Water 4 cups
- ½ tbspn Thyme dried or 1 tsp fresh
- ½ tbspn Oregano dried
- ½ tbspn Sage dried
- ½ tbspn Rosemary dried
- ½ tbspn Marjoram dried
- ¼ tbspn Turmeric ground
- 1/8 tbspn Nutmeg ground
- Optional: ¼ tsp clove powder or 3 cloves finely mortared
- 1 Bay leaf
- 500 ml hot water 2 cups, for the pasta
- 70 g Soup noodles 1/3 cup, I take small farfalle
- 30 ml Tamari 2 tablespoons, or other soy sauce of choice
- black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste Be careful with vegetable broth already salted
- Strain chickpeas. Chickpea water (aquafab save for another recipe.265 g Chickpeas drained* –
- Heat pot with frying oil.30 ml Frying oil or other high heat oil
- Add in onion, celery, carrots, chickpeas and vegetable broth and stir once. Infuse with water.1 red onion or 2 shallots, 70 g Celery sticks, 130 g Carrots, 265 g Chickpeas drained* -, 30 g Soup powder, 1000 ml Water
- Thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, marjoram, turmeric, nutmeg, (optionalaPour in cloves and bay leaf and continue stirring.½ tbspn Thyme dried, ½ tbspn Oregano, ½ tbspn Sage, ½ tbspn Rosemary, ½ tbspn Marjoram, ¼ tbspn Turmeric, 1/8 tbspn Nutmeg, Optional: ¼ tsp clove powder, 1 Bay leaf
- Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add soup noodles and pour 500ml of hot water. Simmer for another 4 minutes (depending on the cooking time of the pasta).500 ml hot water, 70 g Soup noodles
- Refine with tamari and season to taste.30 ml Tamari, black pepper to taste, Salt to taste
- Divide among soup plates, garnish with parsley and enjoy.Spelt roll, Spelt bread, Fresh parsley to taste